View Single Post
Old 01-27-2010, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GpsFrontier View Post
Personally I would never do this myself. I grew tomato's ever year in Calif. (in soil), and every branch that grew out produced tomato's. As far as I am concerned timing the suckers as they call them only controls the size and shape of the plant. I built a box trellis out of 2x4's cut into long strips (1x1's) stuck them in the ground and tied them all together in a box shape around the plants. Then tied string all around it to further support the plant branches.

These tomato plants got 10+ feet tall before the tops started to fall over, only because they couldn't grow more than about 3 feet taller than the trellis. As they fell over and grew down I had to trim them or I wouldn't be able to walk on the pathway between the plants and the garage. Every branch had tomato's, even the so called suckers. I think they are only suckers until they have tomatoes on them.
I've read that you certainly can leave the suckers on the plant but that the tomatoes will not grow as large as if you prune. Did this happen in your situation?

Personally, I think I'd rather have many medium size tomatoes instead of only a few large ones.