View Single Post
Old 02-19-2016, 05:40 PM

Hello brandonbelew,
That temperature (74-75) is just fine. The optimum temp range is between 68 and 72-75, but your still fine if it's between 60 and 80. Below 60 will inhibit growth, and above 80 heat stress begins.

P.S.
Ya, I knew this round of strawberry plants was not going to pay for itself with just 10 plants growing. And unless that variety of strawberry plants bloom and fruit all at once rather than spread over it's life cycle, you will be hard pressed to even get enough fresh strawberry's to make a couple of strawberry shortcakes for dessert. You would need to be growing 30+ strawberry plants for that. But I know you said your wife was growing some in soil as well. Typically strawberry plants will produce between 1 to 2 lbs of strawberry plants over it's summer life cycle (4 months). For me it takes about 1/2 lb of strawberry's to make one strawberry shortcake.

Wont' your wife allow you to grow outside in natural sunlight, so you can eliminate the cost of lighting? Even if it's only in an area she doesn't use much (side of the house, patio, back of the garage etc..)?