View Single Post
Old 01-25-2010, 10:38 PM

Quote:
we trimmed way back and removed the sucker branches as there called. My friend thinks taht this will make the plants much bigger producers.
Personally I would never do this myself. I grew tomato's ever year in Calif. (in soil), and every branch that grew out produced tomato's. As far as I am concerned timing the suckers as they call them only controls the size and shape of the plant. I built a box trellis out of 2x4's cut into long strips (1x1's) stuck them in the ground and tied them all together in a box shape around the plants. Then tied string all around it to further support the plant branches.

These tomato plants got 10+ feet tall before the tops started to fall over, only because they couldn't grow more than about 3 feet taller than the trellis. As they fell over and grew down I had to trim them or I wouldn't be able to walk on the pathway between the plants and the garage. Every branch had tomato's, even the so called suckers. I think they are only suckers until they have tomatoes on them. It was only a small piece of dirt (10 feet by 4 feet) with 6 plants, but it supplied us and our next door neighbors (we lived in condos, it was their dirt also) with all the tomato's we wanted. We were even giving them away to the other neighbors.

I haven't had a fried green tomato sense Calif, they don't sell green ones in the stores here in AZ. I am going to start tomato's in hydro soon but I will be dealing with the high summer heat. The ground here sucks and wont grow much of anything but cactus, and it takes a small bulldozer to gig it up.
Quote:
how can we start a thread just for pictures and video, i know its growtronix feature but you can down load a free software for doing it and us aweb cam so any one can do video or time shots
The best way is to start a thread in the "Your Hydroponics Setup" about your system and post the pictures there. Then you can update new pictures as you wish. That way people can see the progress. You can also post a link to your live cam or videos in the thread. You can also create an album of pictures to this forum by clicking on the 'Hydroponic pictures" link at the top of all the pages, and at the bottom click "add album". These are the random images that are shown at the top of the main page.