View Single Post
Old 10-06-2011, 06:07 AM

I agree that making your own nutrients is generally the most cost effective, assuming you use a lot, or need a different formula for different plants. But that just isn't really for the beginner. Even most intermediate growers I know of don't make there own. If you don't already, you'll need a good comprehension of chemistry. It's not quite like just mixing a certain number of ingredient to bake a cake. You need a understanding of what all the elements (ingredients) do, precise measuring equipment, know what the difference between similar elements are (thus why chemistry knowledge), including the different types of Chelated Micro-nutrients. That's all before knowing how to tell if the recipe is even working correctly, and if there is any nutrient deficiency or toxicities, or if the symptoms are from other environmental conditions like light, humidly, temp (both air and water/root zone), co2, pests/insects etc.. Diagnosing problems becomes multiplied ten fold+ when you throw in the manufacturing of your own nutrients (thus makes the beginner learning curve much harder). I don't have time right now, but I can post some links to info about it if you want. I would post it right now, but I really don't have time. I'll try to remember when I do though anyway (but you may need to remind me).

P.S. Also when making your own, you'll need to buy each element separately, as well as stockpile them so you have what you need on hand when you need it. That could be costly for a beginner just trying out hydroponics. Then if they don't work well, you may be discouraged from continuing in hydroponics (especially after so much effort and expense).

As for a good cost effective general purpose nutrient, I have used these with good results:
The Verti-Gro Hydroponic Fertilizers and Nutrients - Organic and Hydroponic Growing for Commercial and Hobby Growers

Specifically, 5-10-25 & 15-0-0
SKU#: F15002
SKU#: F510252

Also sold in the combo SKU#: FCombo

But here are a few other company's nutrients I plan to try out

QuickGrow Nutrient Fertilizer
Buy Hydroponics - J. R. Peters Inc. Fertilizer Products And Services

P.S.
The nutrients sold by the company frnz571 mentioned are also on my list of nutrients to try. However I would call them before ordering. Simply because the info on their website isn't the easiest to find/navigate, or clear. I have dealt with them before and even though there shipping policy is strange (compared to others), they seemed to have very good customer service. In fact, the book I ordered (Fresh Culinary Herb Production) from them arrived in only 3 days (shipping for it was about $3).

Just my two cents...