View Single Post
Old 01-26-2009, 01:14 PM

Default Hydroponic growth stages..

Can you give me some idea on the various growth stages (in inches) on some of the more common vegetables i.e.
tomatoes, peppers, lettuce, kale etc. My system has been running now for about two weeks and I have nothing to gauge my
progress against.

For instance my tomatoes from which I started from seed on 3/16/97 are about 5 inches tall now on 4/17/97. They look
healthy with purple stems and purple under leaves (is this purple coloration normal?), but for some reason I think they should
be growing faster - especially when I see Ron's web site pictures. I also have some cayenne peppers which are about two
inches tall with two sets of leaves - I started these from seed on 3/23/97.

Does this sound like a proper growth rate. My lettuce seems to be doing good as well as the summer squash. The kale also looks good (started from seed on 3/23/97 - about 3 inches tall now and the leaves are getting bigger). My system is based on Ron's 2 liter soda bottles ( I have 16 bottle system.

On 4/7/97 I placed the system under with the plants under a 1000 watt metal halide light. My medium is pea sized river bed
gravel. I'm using formula one nutrients with an EC of 2.5 milliseimans.
Any info or comments will be greatly appreciated.