Thread: Root Rot
View Single Post
Old 12-03-2010, 02:33 PM

Default root rot

Thanks for the info GPS. the roots of my plants don't look like yours. The plants that I tossed were more grey and very mushy, rotten. if you barely brushed them with your finger they'd fall apart. And there were no white roots at all.
As I mentioned, my aeroponics system is outdoors, subject to the temperature and conditions outside. I don't have a chiller for the reservoir, it's just too costly. I live in california, so the temperature is rather mild. right now the temperature ranges between the mid 70's during the day, and the mid 50's at night.
I actually have a few houseplants growing indoors that are doing well. I think the problem is that outside the wind and dust contaminates the system. I've thought about using compost tea to supply beneficial microbials, but then I'd probably be introducing as many bad pathogens as well.
I've been using .5 mls per gallon of 35% hydrogen peroxide with my weekly nutrient changes, which is close to your recommended 5 mls per gallon of 3% peroxide.
When I cleaned my system with bleach I filled the the reservoir with a bleach solution and ran it through the system for 2 hours. then used a toothbrush and scrubbed all of the components with the bleach solution. then ran the bleach solution through the system 2 more times. even after all that the root rot returned.
With my system being outdoors I don't think it will be possible to keep it contaminant free. which is why I am thinking that beneficial microbials might be best solution. but before spending the money I wanted to know if anyone else has had any experience with root rot, and if microbials helped, or if there is a better solution.

Thanks, Kleeem