View Single Post
Old 02-07-2010, 06:24 AM

Actually these "bottle-based" E&F systems (also shown here at some threads or in the gallery) are build in order to having a quick evacuation during drain cycle. One could actually call it flushing. That's right those kinda suck literarily. I knew that - but wasn't talking about those.

Right, the laws of physics are always in vigor - apparently not understood properly by some ...

They are understood by observation and the relation between two or more observations, not on rhetoric - aren't they?
Instead of using rhetorical comparisons or anecdotical analogies, I strongly recommend to consider all variables and parameters there are in a given situation.

You are a sharp boy Gps, right - and good at physics as it seems? Well then have a closer look at Leon's setup. Do you know what a bottleneck is? Have a look at the diameter of the outlets in Leon's system and then at the size of the hose's diameter that comes next and is supposed to evacuate the collected amount of all outlets to the reservoir.

We have two bottlenecks here in a row. Firstly the small diameter of the outlets in the buckets that only allow a relatively slow evacuation from each bucket and the second bottleneck is the hose that collects the one from the outlets and limits the maximal flow again. The ebbing process will go too slow to have any "sucking effect". Technically speaking, 6 outlets have to be squeezed through a double 3/4 inch bottleneck. Because of the relatively low hight difference (which may vary and make some difference, though) enough pressure will not build up either. Yes, the airspace in the buckets will be filled up, you bet it will - but it will take quite a bit of time instead of happening quickly. How do I know that? Well, simply because I have build a system with a very similar diameter of In/outlet. A system with that outlet size takes an eternity to drain! Depending on the pump size (if you do not override it for the retourn) you even have a third bottleneck (that could be narrower than 3/4), that would slows down the draining process even more.

If the setup would use 1 inch outlets and a 2 inch collecting tube instead, well - then it would probably suck pretty much.

The other, actually more important point is that I do not see nor believe that there is any notable temperature change in the root zone of either setup (quick flush or slow drain). Naaaahhh, that's truly taking it too far with thermodynamical speculation without proof. I would only believe that if I would see any notable temperature changes when actually measuring the temperature inside the buckets (root zone if you like) with a actual field experiment- before, during and after drain.

Last edited by Luches; 02-07-2010 at 06:27 AM.