View Single Post
Old 12-28-2009, 10:20 PM

Quote:
I have had many large gardens all most to the point of small farms.
Sounds like hydroponics will be right up your ally because you already know how to grow the plants, just changing over to doing it without soil. Also knowing a few things like how big the plants get, root space needed, do the plants grow like a vine or a bush as well as other things go a long way to designing the best system for your crops. Also with your experience in building fish tanks I'm sure you have had to do some problem solving, and some needing to find different materials to use for your custom setups that will come in handy when building hydroponic systems. Not that designing and building your own hydroponic systems is hard to do by any means, but there is always a learning curve to doing anything and just knowing how to think outside the box is a plus.

There was a question in this forum about using a compressor versus air pumps that with your experience in building fish tanks you may have a better answer to the question than I did. This is the thread just wondered if anyone uses air compressor I found a few links with high volume air pumps but you may have a better solution.

P.S. What crops are you wanting to grow? How much space do you have to grow in? Are you wanting to grow both inside (artificial lighting) and outside (natural lighting)? Are you wanting to have large gardens and/or small farm? What part of the country do you live (I assume you live in the US because of who you drove for)?