View Single Post
Old 01-23-2010, 07:21 PM

Ya, I kind of know that about truffles, and I'm sure there are scientists trying to modify things. I was more or less thinking that If I could figure out the why's and how's, I could duplicate the conditions rather than modify anything. Then by giving them their option growing conditions they should have the best aroma and flavor. I cant grow a oak tree hydroponically (at least not yet ) but I'm not sure that it's exactly the roots themselves and/or why. It could possibly just be something related to their root systems. Sure it would be a lot of work to figure out how to grow them naturally in captivity (at all really) and not something I would be looking into any time soon, but always a thought in my head.

Quote:
I will do a bit of research myself and see what we can come up with.
Cool, me too. I do want to grow mushrooms soon. I don't plan to grow anything exotic though, at least not in the beginning. I will start with mushrooms that I know I like, mainly the White Mushrooms and Shiitake Mushrooms, then go from there. Because they seem to like to grow in manure so much I was thinking of making a compost tea out of actual compost. Like getting a bag of organic manure (organic so it wont have any fungicides in it) and/or plant compost then soaking it in boiling water with a bubbling system at the bottom, or maybe even used nutrient solution from another hydroponic system. Though I'm not sure I would boil the used nutrient solution, because I know it turns cloudy but I don't know why. Then straining it to put in the nutrient reservoir. Something like that should be much cheaper in nutrient costs also. You can buy spores of all kinds online easily, or probably just get the mushrooms from the store and get the spores from them, unless they don't have the ones you want to grow.