View Single Post
Old 02-14-2011, 10:32 PM

Hopefully someone here can give you some reference-able information on this subject. I have looked into this myself and can tell you what my understanding is. (<----Disclaimer)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sylvestris View Post
I've recently got myself into a debate about wether or not hydroponics are good or bad for your health.
Quote:
.... on a more serious aspect. Please tell me what you know about the health effects of hydro grown veggies. It would be nice to know since I'm eating the veggies I produce and It's nice to know what I'm eating and serving my family
My original goal was to grow 99% organic in everything I grow primarily for health reasons. That has changed since learning more and more about hydroponics and nutrients. As I understand it, plants uptake specific nutrients to grow and produce fruit. The plant is not as concerned with where these nutrients come from, but that they are getting them.

Weather the nutrient is derived from salt based inorganic compounds or from organic based compounds, the plants main concern is that it's nutrient needs are being met.

Quote:
I've read that hydro veggies actually contain more vitamins that soil grown veggies if grown correctly. However some soil-fanatics claim that hydro veggies lack certain nutrients and vitamins that the human body needs.
I am going to approach this from a plant growth and production standpoint, as I do not have a lab in my garage...but if anyone wants to go half with me let me know...lol

You made a very good comment above... "If Grown Correctly"... That is the key to hydro or soil. I love the argument if hydro or soil is better...i hear it often, and I love the answer because I believe it to be true.

Plants are pre-programed to grow a certain way under certain conditions. Neither hydroponic nor soil can make a plant grow any different than what it is genetically pre-programed to do. Let's say you have two identical tomato plants side by side, one hydro, one soil. Which will grow better?

Anyone can throw a seed in the ground, water it and have a pretty good chance of getting a plant that will produce tomatoes. Not everybody can throw a seed into a hydro system and get the same results... there is no buffer...no soil. sometimes no moisture, you have to make the parameters correct.

Think of the soil as dehydrated nutrient...add water and you are now supplying the plant with a nutrient mix, available to the roots. Done...right? Well...not exactly. You know all the little tweaks you go through to make sure your nutrient for you hydro system is balanced correctly right? make sure your PH is set, your TDS is set, correct aeration of nutrient, oh, and making sure you are using a nutrient mix that has all the good stuff for the type of plants you are growing.

Soil is the same... You need to make sure your soil PH is spot on (most people don't), you need to make sure your soil has the right stuff in it, if not simply amend the soil with the correct stuff (normally after you notice a deficiency in the plant). Check your levels of nutrients in your soil...just like TDS in hydro...it's easy to burn plants in either system if you over amend or have your TDS too high. Soil drainage helps to aerate your plant roots as well.

So you have two plants...optimal setups, one organic soil, one hydro...it is my understanding that the nutritional makeup of the fruit will be the same. The plant is getting what it needs in both cases, and is achieving what it is genetically pre-programed to do.

Oh, and I think that the fruits and veggies I produce in my non-organic hydro system, are healthier and safer than Organic Store Bought produce. Remember they don't have to tell you if it's Genetically Modified Organic produce or not...

Hope I didn't get too off subject there...

If I ever have the space I will try my hand at raising Talpia for a full on organic experience! Gotta leave the grid someday...;-)