View Single Post
Old 04-14-2012, 12:49 AM

It's not a large greenhouse by commercial standards. But it is the largest I can build without needing a permit. It's 10 feet wide by 20 feet long (200 square feet). The sides are about 9 feet tall, and it is about 11.5 feet tall at the top apex.

The plants I will be growing in it will all be fresh herbs. I will be growing them from seeds. So far I have 3 types of basil (Common, Lemon, and Dark Opel), I also have chives, Dill, and lemongrass seeds. There are a few other seeds like sage, thyme and mint that I want to grow/offer too. Although I expect the Basil to make up about 80% of sales, but I'll adjust to what people are wanting as needed.

The plants wont be big, about 9-10 inches tall when sold. Here is a link to the fresh live herb plants currently being sold here: Fresh Live Basil. That is exactly what I'll be selling under my own brand name (Havasu Hydro Farms). The ones currently being sold in the local market are being sold for $3 each, I will be selling them for $2 each, I may even do a 3 for $5 deal.

I attached some drawings I made of the planed hydroponic system/s before I started building it. Their not exact to what is built, but gives you a good idea of how the 3 levels will look with the plants when finished. For now the bottom level will be the prorogation system, the middle level will be for seedlings, and the top level will be for plants ready to sell. Basically rotating them up as they get bigger. For now that will be about 500 plants a week. I plan to build a prorogation system in the garage with the profits from sales, then I'll be able to use the 2nd level for plants ready to sell too. Thus going from 500 plants a week, to 1,000 plants a week.

It will be a lot of work running around marketing them, but well worth the effort. I'll be able to make anywhere from $30,000 to $50,000 a year (after operating expenses) from it. Then I'll be able to expand the operation into other crops (strawberry's, tomato's, peppers, melons, green onions, lettuce etc. etc.) with the profits. Eventually I want to have my own farmers market fresh produce store, right on the same property where the produce is grown. Even give tours of how it's grown to the customers, possibly even give tours to school classes etc..
Attached Images

Last edited by GpsFrontier; 04-14-2012 at 12:52 AM.