View Single Post
Old 01-06-2010, 09:44 PM

Hey that's cool. You honestly don't even need to take the time to call the nurtient company if you don't want to. I enjoy coming here and using the forums as a sounding board for ideas, issues and just plain ol' vents. I always appreciate the assistance and tips you give but please don't feel the need to go out of your way.

I know my grow room isn't optimum and I could make a LOT of improvements. Could I somehow rig up that AC unit to blow air directly into the tubs instead of the room? Yeah, I bet I could. Wouldn't be trivial, but I don't doubt I couldn't rig up something. I'm usually pretty handy at stuff like that...hehe. This is my first attempt at any real "gardening"...and choosing to try out my very green "green thumb" with hydroponics might not have been the best idea...but hey, I like a challenge. These pepper plants are more of a novelty test for me to see if I can get the basics down and whether or not this whole idea of indoor gardening is worth persuing. I think I'm doing decently for the first go around and I've gotten a ton of useful help from the folks here, especially you. I hope to make tweaks here and there as time goes on and improve where I can and learn as much as possible.

Decided to add a few more photos....and maybe point out a potential glimmer of hope. First pic is a peak "under the hood". Just wanted to show the roots and a quick glance at the nute solution. Roots look healthy to me, and you can see that the nute solution is pretty clear. A little bit of brown sediment sitting at the bottom of the tub. I'm thinking its "stuff" that has settled out of some of the ingredients I add into the solution. A couple of those nutrients are rather "thick and chunky" and have alot of "floaties" in them. I'm guessing it's that stuff setteling out of the soltuion eventually.

The second pic is probably hard to make out (darn iPhone camera doesn't do closeups very well...hehe). While I was on the topic of "frustrations" I forgot to mention gnats. Lots of GNATS! Where they are all coming from I have no idea. That's what the black specs on the papper are. Dead gnats that have met their maker trying to get too close to the 400W MH bulb....hehe. The tops of the lids are littered with dozens of dead gnats. Never see more than a couple actually flying around the room...but they keep coming from somewhere. My only guess is they are getting access into the room from the AC units window vent kit.

Ah...so I mentioned a potential gleam of hope....and if it is you should be able to see them in the last two pics. Did I jump the gun a little bit? Are those what I think they might be?? Are those little baby peppers??

Oh...edit. Just throwing out something else I happened to read but had never really given much thought to, but something that none the less made a lot of sense when I read it. I ran across a tid bit that mentioned that another potential cause of flower drop off could be because the plants are still doing some heavy veg growth. I think that's fairly evident from the original pics I posted in this thread. These guys are definately growing. What I ran across was specifically talking about pepper plants being grown indoors and it was suggested that flowers might simply be dropping off if the plants are still undergoing heavy vegetative growth. Basically because the plant was devoting more energy to the veg growth and not enough to the flower/fruit development. /shrug....seemed logical anyways.
Attached Images

Last edited by txice; 01-06-2010 at 09:52 PM.