View Single Post
Old 01-06-2010, 10:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amigatec View Post
I am thinking the MH light is too blue. At 7200K that is a lot of blue. You may look at switching to something with more red.
Well the buld I have is "supposed" to be a full spectrum bulb that simulates sunlight. I know it won't have a red range quite like an hps bulb will, but if you want to believe what they print on the package, it has a fairly decent representation across the spectrum (first image attached).

At the time I got the light system I bought a second bulb as well. A 400W HPS bulb. Second picture attached is the spectrum printed on the HPS bulbs box.

I had mentioned in another thread that I was thinking about making the switch to the HPS bulb since I was seeing alot of blooms starting on the plants. I think it was GPS that mentioned I might not want to do that simply because the plants are also still doing veg growth and may not be too happy with the HPS bulb in that regard (which makes sense of course). That is what sparked me to add the 2 2700K cfl bulbs. My thinking was that I could maybe suppliment the amount of the red spectrum the plants were getting....even if it was just a little bit.

I've also thought about maybe putting in the 400W HPS and using 2 "full spectrum" daylight simulating CFL bulbs as the supplement....sorta reversing what I have now.

Edit...sorry I know my pics are crap. I'll continue to blame the iPhone and not own up to any lack of photo taking skills
Attached Images

Last edited by txice; 01-06-2010 at 10:09 PM.