View Single Post
Old 01-08-2010, 03:16 AM

Quote:
"If the plants are trying to either carry a heavy crop load of preexisting fruit on the plants or trying to produce more vegetative growth at the same time as flowering, then the plant may sacrifice the flowers in favor of more leaf development. In this case, pruning of the plant may help this process swing back in favor of flowering and fruit set."
This is the part I have trouble with
Quote:
trying to produce more vegetative growth at the same time as flowering,
Unless they were talking about a specific variety rather than in general. Because pepper plants don't stop growing once they start to flower. That's not to say there is no merit to the whole statement in general. But that would mean the pepper plants you have were full size at this point. When actually they can/will get ten times that size, with peppers growing all along the way. I also don't think pruning it back would keep it from wanting to grow vegetation, unless you pruned it in the right places to keep it from growing anything new. But that wont stop it from wanting to, as I see it.

I attached some pictures of my pepper plants last summer. Going by the strawberry's I would say the pepper plants were transplanted into the system within a week or two of the time the pictures where taken where they are smaller. I am not exactly sure when the pictures were taken where they are larger, but it was about that time I was having trouble keeping the nutrient solution temperatures down, so I don't have any latter pictures of them. They were no where near full size at that point either, you can see how I have them spaced at 1 1/2 feet apart to give them space to grow. But with no way to keep the nutrient temp under control, I decided not to waste nutrients and electricity to keep them on life support.
Quote:
Hey...it's posted on the interwebs...gotta be true right??
Ya, the interweb is a great source for information, but you need to use some common scene and not just believe everything you find on it. I have written articles for one of my GPS website and placed them in various places to be published. Although the information I provided was accurate, these places don't check to make sure before they post it. Also anyone can get a website and post anything they want. Shoot I could say I had sex with Alicia Silverstone (my favorite, well one of them), so I guess it would be true then, and with a little photoshop editing I could prove it.
Attached Images

Last edited by GpsFrontier; 01-08-2010 at 06:48 AM.