View Single Post
Old 07-01-2009, 11:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedHerring View Post
Hey all,

I've got a bit of a problem. I'm running an aeroponics system (it's a tote-bin with drip on the perlite and misting below and reservoir at the bottom) as well as a few potted plants as a control. Now I've got a green-pepper plant growing in the aeroponics system and a few other things in the potting soil but they're all growing incredibly slowly. Basically the get a pair of adult leaves then sit there doing nothing. They all look happy; good green leaves, nice and glossy with no spots or discolorations but they just don't seem to be getting bigger.
Here are a few measurements:

Air Temp: 10-22C
Water Temp: 18C
Humidity: 20 -30%
Light: 18h on 6h off. 6x 70W high pressure sodium + 1x 85W/5100lm "Daylight" fluorescent tube.
pH: 6.3
EC: 0.68 mS

Any ideas?
I don't see anything wrong with the air temp or the water temp and the humidity should be fine. I don't really have any experience in lighting because I use the sun for that. Although I cant tell from your post if you are using potting soil in the hydroponic system. Perlite should be fine but regular potting soil will have elements and minerals in it that will through off a Hydroponic nutrient solution.

It sounds like the plants are getting enough water or they would be wilting. So I don't think that is a problem, unless they are constantly soaked and don't get enough oxygen. There might be a problem with the nutrients you are using, I am using General Hydroponics Flora series 3 part system because they are pretty reliable and standard in the industry. I don't know that what you are using is not reliable, but it might be worth investigating. I also dont know how often you change the nutreants or the size of the resevar.

I am interested in the setup you have for the aeroponic system, I am very interested in that technology. I am particularly interested in the pump you are using and if it was expensive. Also what kind of pressure it provides and how many emitters that it is capable of supporting without pressure loss.