View Single Post
Old 01-15-2015, 12:03 PM

Default First Tomato Setup

Hey guys! Im pretty new around here but just wanted to post some progress on my tomato setup. I've pieced it together for the last 4-5 weeks and finally got it up and running about 2 weeks ago.

It's kind of like a dutch bucket system I guess. I tried to use things that were cheap and available where I could and I could reuse somehow if I change the setup. The buckets are actually kitty litter containers (they are food grade plastic, weird I know) that my brother always recycles. I had him save them for me and I cut the tops off. They hold just a hair under 2.5 gal and are completely free for me. For the elbows at the bottom, I drilled a hole (7/8" maybe) and used some grommets I got from Grainger. The elbows are actually sprinkler irrigation barbed fittings with some tubing connecting the two through the grommet. Not perfect, but leaves about and inch or less water in the bottom of the containers when the pump turns off. The containers have paint strainer bags and hold clay pebbles. I've tried perlite but I like the recyclability of the pebbles. I still have to wrap the containers in a light blocking film, probably foil as it's pretty accessible and cheap.

The tomatoes are actually 5 different varieties. I'm not even sure what they are. I think theres a Black Zebra variety, Indian Moon variety, and maybe something called Sausage. If I get one tomato, I'll be happy. I'm more so trying this just to have plants in the garage (heated right now) for greenery and to show myself I can do it. I'm expecting tomatoes however... All plants that have been moved here are from suckers from other plants. I just stuck them in rock wool, gave them some water, and they started rooting. Then they got moved into the kitty litter containers.

Fertilizer is Masterblend Tomato fertilizer. I also use the Calcium stuff and Epsom salts. nutrients are mixed a little under half strength right now because all of my plants are tiny.

lights are HID lamps. I got one off amazon a while ago and my parents gifted me another so I could move on with this setup. They came with two lamps each, a hps and a MH (2700K and 5000K or something like that). I installed one of each to see which tomatoes grow faster. Weird little experiment but curiosity draws me in. I plan on setting up Mylar around them to keep in heat and light. In the zoomed out pick, I attached a frame made of EMT to the ceiling. I normally use small magnets and just stick it to the EMT so I can reuse/repurpose if I need to.

Oh well, enough rambling. I know most people don't respond to a lot of threads (Im guilty of it too) so even if you look, enjoy! If you have any advice please let me know. Thanks for looking!

Attached Images