Thread: Melons
View Single Post
Old 06-02-2010, 06:36 AM

Well I just thought I would post an update. First off it has been 8 days and these plants have almost dubbed in size (remember I gave away 4 of them). I may need to just give away the rest, I don't think I will be ready to transplant within in the next week. But I thought I would mention an observation, I have been hand pollinating them and have noticed a few things.

First off I have no idea if any results were due to hand pollinating or insect pollinating. I have noticed that at each junction of leaves there is a cluster of flowers, I cant imagine each flower being a melon. But it seems that at each cluster of flowers (after all but one flower) there is a bulb with a flower that has not opened yet. I am thinking that each cluster of flowers will produce one melon if the clusters are pollinated correctly. You can see the bulb in some of the images, these flowers have not yet opened. I assume they will still need to be pollinated before the fruit will actually set. But I will keep a close eye on what happens, even if I never get the plants in their intended system.
Attached Images