View Single Post
Old 12-01-2009, 02:02 AM

Quote:
I left the pump running continuously while the family and I went to go see a movie (2nd trip for the girls to see New Moon...they were geeked...but I digress). When we left one of the stems of the tomato plant was just about 1/4" from actually drooping low enough to touch the top of my container lid. When we got back from the movie and I came up to check on the plants, that same stem was propped back up and hanging a good 3 or so inches from the lid. The leaves look a bit happier as well. So with a continued flow of water again it has appeared to have helped, at least in the short term.
I'm not surprised, roots that don't have any growing medium to hold moisture will dry out much faster. For the same reason plants grown in an aeroponic system need to be watered much more frequently, like every 5 to 10 min. I was thinking that the roots above the water level were getting dry with 45 min before water. Also the roots below the water level could be to getting waterlogged.
Quote:
I was debating either leaving them on for the entire light cycle again...or at least going to a 15 on/15 off cycle and see if they do better that way.
With the plants in a growing medium now you should be fine with 15 on/off, you might even be fine with 30 off because the grow rocks will hold moisture so they wont dry out as fast.
Quote:
Still trying to get the hang of this stuff. At least I'm going on 4 weeks in and haven't just outright killed anything yet...heh. So I guess I'm not totally screwing this up yet
Your doing just fine, with anything new there's always a learning curve. My experience is, the more you learn the more there is you don't know. But doesn't that always seems to be the case? The way I look at it is, the one who doesn't try is the one that fails.