View Single Post
Old 12-01-2009, 10:23 PM

Hi txice,

If your new 45min off cycle would dry out the roots, the plants would bend over and eventually die quickly. But 30 off- or 15/15 is safer anyways and will permit better uptake of nutrients as well. But you most probably have decreased the off-time already I guess.

Your PH is fine but the 1000-1200 ppm for those baby plants seem a bit high to me. But then again it depends on the formula:

Because "veg cycle recipie" sounds like a high nitrogen formula to me and if it comes in relatively high strength, the nitrogen content versus Potassium is likely to be too high. The "droopy" part may indeed be due to too vigorous growth because of high nitrogen content (and a lack of potassium).

From my perspective, tomatoes shouldn't be grown with a "vegetative formula", unless the formula respects the fact that tomatoes shouldn't be overfed with nitrogen at any growing stage. I strongly recommend to switch to a formula that is lower in nitrogen content (and obviously higher in K). In commercial terms, that would probably be a bloom- or flowering formula.
A "real" tomato formula would do the deal as well.

PS: While the concentration of 1000-1200 still MAY be OK for that size of tomatoes, it is too high for the baby peppers - at least for my understanding and experience. And I am growing all kinds of hot and less hot peppers since many years. While peppers can use (and cope with) some more nitrogen, they also need high potassium.