View Single Post
Old 03-13-2011, 02:31 AM

"I would like to see the research that supports the statement that plants don't respond to wavelengths of green light."

Practically every cannabis forum out there can tell you this, along with multiple non-woody bonsai growers (myself being one.) I didn't say ALL plants, but a fair majority do not respond in any favorable fashion to green light. This applies to primarily terrestrial plants. Marine flora have far different response ranges and also additional helper chloroplasts.

"That's basically saying that 1/3 of the suns energy (light) is useless to plants."

Plants only use about 5% of any energy they're irradiated with at any given time. The conversion from photons to energy is highly inefficient to boot. The truth is a HUGE majority of light is practically useless, as the plant simply can't use it because it's already fully charged - think of chlorophyll as capacitors/batteries with built-in converters. In any energy system, you take in too much energy, you risk burning out. Chlorophyll does this constantly in natural sunlight. It degrades due to such high energy irradiation. That which does not get used (primarily green) is either reflected back to us or just generates heat off the surface of the plant tissues, the latter effect being goverend by thermodynamics.

"Again here I would love to see the creditable research that supports the statement that less wavelengths of light is better."

Read any number of research that uses a control light source and then supplements with monochromatic sources. I believe you'll find the ones performed on wheat, barley grass, and wheatgrass to be quite informative due to easy repetition of the experiments and easy creation of double-blind testing across huge swaths of crops.

In fact, I simply grow fodder grass using practically zero light (quantum meter effectively reads zero,) and it's as healthy as typical grown fodder grasses with about half of the root hormone content that upsets multiple ruminants. In multiple crops, less is far superior, depending upon purpose. You're limiting yourself to inside the box thinking.

"I would also love to see the creditable research results of the side by side comparisons of different plant types, that supports the claims of achieving the exact same results. I'm not talking about white led light bulbs. I'm talking about individual wavelength LED bulbs, covering all the individual wavelengths (covering the full spectrum of natural light), where as a whole will put out a white light."

Thousands upon thousands on Springerlink, Wiley Acience Archive, and independent research done by everyone from home gardeners to University professors like John Lydon, all acros the web. You should be quite able to find them, just start by picking your crop. I'd recommend Dutch sources as they tend to be a bit more detailed, especially concerning yields in terms of yield per kilowatt-hour and nutritional content, much moreso than most US-based scientists. They also have better hydroponics systems overall.

"Sounds like this statment is right out of the pages of a product manufactures web-page. Where is the creditable research that supports this. I know that LED technology is improving, and even slowly coming down in price. But I want to see the creditable research that shows/supports the same growth rates, plant structure, overall foliage and fruiting (in both quantity and quality) is the same or better than with MH and hps. As well as for various plants, including large plants like indeterminate varieties of peppers, tomato's, and/or large vine plants like melons, peas, cucumbers, squash etc. is the same or better using LED's than MH and HPS."

I've done it across various other forums, I'll be more than happy to do it here. In fact, doing it across forums is what got me my research director position in the first place.

So sit back, enjoy the show. Wait for me to get my seeds.

BTW, remember that lettuce picture in my post above? That was eight days. The crop typically takes seven weeks under natural sunlight in an NFT system.

http://i.imgur.com/MCRg8.jpg

Done in twenty-eight days. We're waiting for nutritional analysis to be able to make final judgments against sunlit greenhouse lettuce of the same seed stock batch, but the weight is perfect for market and the color is excellent.

Sorry I can't give you day-by-day from our research facilities but that's absolutely not allowed by my NDA.

Nothing in my NDA prevents me from doing the same thing at home and showing it off, so here I am.