Thread: NFT Lettuce
View Single Post
Old 01-25-2010, 03:06 AM

Quote:
The picture is impressive, but this isn't romaine lettuce, not even any other lettuce - no way.
I have never grown Romain but as I mentioned, I thought it was Romain because it looks like it to me. Is it Romain or not Romain is not the question. The point was that they were taller plants and would be a bit top heavy and would probably fall over in a 4 inch wide trough, if that was what was planed. Even though 4' does mean 4 feet, I wasn't sure if that is what was meant and just wanted to clarify.

Yes, if you look at the hands (what I did) will give you an idea how tall they are. I would guess about a foot. Going by my hands the Styrofoam would be 3 inches thick. The plants are a good 4 to 5 times that, and that would put them at about a foot+ tall. That also makes it about twice the height of most lettuce I have seen growing (like the ones in the images Luches posted). The Romain I get at our grocery store is around a foot tall in height. So whatever it is in the picture, it should be a good compassion.
Quote:
Although it's called so at the blog the picture provides from.
I have no idea where the image originates from, or what they say the plants are. Also the reason I did not say it was Romain for sure. I have compiled hundreds of similar pictures, and stored them in a file on my computer. I simply do a search for hydroponic plants or what ever I am looking for, using the image search feature from Yahoo, Google and Bing (formally known as MSN). Then save the image to my computer, they don't come with titles or URL's.

It's my understanding that Smurf wants to be able to sell this produce at the local farmers market. Not sure he wants to go to the trouble of building the systems to grow the produce in, only to need to harvest it early because they were too close together. The produce tends to look smaller to the customers that way and they feel like they are not getting their money's worth. You can always cut the price but then you cut your profits. I personally don't see much point in doing that. I would want my customers to feel like there getting a good deal. But at the same time I need to make enough back to cover costs, and also make it worthwhile for all my work.