View Single Post
Old 05-11-2010, 06:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by widespreadpanic View Post
I love what you've done. What is the temperature of your reservoir? I thought about burying mine until I found a cheap aquarium chiller. I also like the way you insulated the pipes. TOO cool. Keep us updated with more pics.
Thanks, The temp of the nutrient solution remains constant at about 76 degrees. That's a little higher than I want (68-72), but as I mentioned earlier in this thread, I ran into a rock that I just couldn't dig out. So the hole is only 30 inches deep instead of the 36 inches that I originally planed. I have checked the temp of the buffer water (the water between both trash cans), This water does not run through the system, it stays underground 24/7. The temp of the nutrient solution and the buffer water are always the same. This tells me that the nutrient solution is not really heating up as it flows through the system, at least not yet. It will get 30 degrees warmer before the summer is over, to at least 125 degrees.

I actually have not finished it quite yet, plan to build up the top portion about 6 to 8 inches, hopefully that will make up for not being able to go deep enough. I attached some images of the way I plan to finish it off. All the above ground tubing should be covered with pipe insulation to help keep it from heating up as it flows through the system. Although I need to redo it all. The tubing is 3/4 inch tubing but the pipe insulation is 1/2 inch, it's just what I had on hand. I plan to get some 3/4 inch insulation within a few weeks. I have not taken new pictures yet, I've been meaning to but I will tonight or tomorrow then post them.
Attached Images