View Single Post
Old 01-06-2012, 01:16 AM

OK, I have had the greenhouse covering done for a few days now. Again there are to many pictures for one post so I will brake them up into two posts. First I cut the plastic sheet into 5 sections (4 sides, and the top). I made them bigger than needed and trimmed them down to the right size once it was completely attaches. I had to build a second wooden ladder for the side near the retaining wall because the other one was to large and wouldn't fit in-between.

I needed the sides to overlap, and the top to overlap all sides in order for it to be water proof. To do that I started installing the two ends first (the tall sides). wrapping it around the polls. Then I laid out the top section on one side, then duct tape 4 ropes to the edge. Then I just threw the ropes over the top and pulled it up from the other side (doing it evenly). I had already drew a center line down the center of the plastic sheet, that way it would be easy to line it straight down the center of the greenhouse. From there it was just mater of pulling it tight and screwing it in as I went down.

You can see the poly strapping I used in most of the pictures. That does two things, first it makes it so the screws wont just pull through the plastic making holes, and it adds extra strength for the plastic covering all the way around. Also it's important to pull the poly strapping tight as well as the plastic.

When installing the top section, I didn't attach the bottom edge yet because I need it to overlap the long sides as well as the short sides. If I did the sides first, there would have been no way for me to get to the top apex of the greenhouse to screw it in. In the center I built a platform that I could stand on that I can move around. But I also needed to stand right on top of the grow beds, so I just laid a bunch of 2x4's across there so I wouldn't do any damage to the grow beds. Doing the top that way was slow going (moving everything around to get where I needed), but I didn't have a choice because real tall free standing ladders are quite expensive (that's also why I built the wood ladders).

Continued in next post.............
Attached Images