View Single Post
Old 10-18-2010, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GpsFrontier View Post
Using food grade plastics is really just a personal choice, mostly made out of paranoia (no offense NorEastFla) in my opinion.
No offense taken, GpsFrontier. After watching several people die from cancer, I try to leave as many chemicals out of my body as possible, as I believe that the base route to cancer is by putting some of the chemicals into your body that are used in manufacturing currently. There are a lot of plastic related illnesses just being discovered right now that result from chemicals leeching out of plastic into whatever is touching the plastic. I'll play it safe even if I seem a bit paranoid in the process...hehe. As long as there are alternatives available to avoid unknown plastic compositions, I'll take them.

I agree with your statements about the amounts of water necessary for ebb and flow. For years, NFT was the primary method chosen by most commercial growers, but with the massive outpouring of recirculating raft systems for lettuce, herbs and other leafy vegetables, the raft systems are becoming the new NFT . For heavier produce, NFT is probably the most cost effective method still.

Last edited by NorEastFla; 10-18-2010 at 01:33 PM.