Thread: My First system
View Single Post
Old 08-11-2011, 03:01 AM

It was about $50 and it came with a small pump that hooked up to it with a simple elboe that was included and it comes with another elbow that goes ont he exhaust to push the cleaned water away. it is a little 12V pump that pushes 180L/H according to the side of the pump. It comes with an electrical adapter and a little control box (no buttons on it, just an indicator led)

I got it at petco

petsmart seems to have less of the interesting things :P

Here is the more specific information on the one I got

Brand : AA
model AAUV9W
it is a 9Watt UV bulb that is rated for a 50Gal tank. that is more than enough for my needs. and you can probably just use multiple/or a larger version for bigger tanks.

It really was an impulse buy, but I wanted it lol..

I was thinking about planting new plants as well. I just hate tossing things that are living lol.. Years in the army learning to kill and I have a soft spot for plants and small animals lol.

I might try to save the tomatoes in their own DWC buckets as a test to see if I can come up with a way to prevent infection even in a known infected medium. I have a few ideas that use a high strength bleach mix. I have been sprating the plants with the test mix since I pulled them from the system and they plants themselves are doing great and the medium is turning white again from the creamish color it was turning from the infection.

You might be right on not using the plants in the same system and restarting them fresh, but I think I will keep the tomatoes in their own system (I got the supplies for it yesterday) and see if I can keep it from comming back.

I figure a good test of a theory would be a great way to put some ideas to practice.

I am going to be using sulfuric acid and bleach to try to make the res a harsh environment and not kill the plants. If it works it will be a great way to use the lifetime supply of PH down (battery acid) that cost me $10. you have to delute the quart bottle 9:1 with distilled so I will have enough PH down to last a long while. The infected tomatoes will get the first dose of it to test it out. If it works out it might be my new way to resolve an infection in addition to the normal scrubbing.

I will keep you posted on that.

PS: I have to start some new plants anyway. I got my new seeds in a couple days ago and get to grow the plants I actually wanted to grow ;P