View Single Post
Old 01-14-2010, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GpsFrontier View Post
Well yes, but I am not sure if it is what you are thinking of. Hydroponic nutrients are made up of many elements and micro elements. There is not any way to tell exactly how much of one particular element is in a solution that I know of. But there are charts that can tell you what strength a particular plant needs in regards to TDS/PPM and pH.

pH is the acidity of the solution. Where TDS and PPM can tell you how strong the solution is, but only in a total amount. Not how much of each element is in it. There are charts that can tell you how much PPM of each element a plant needs. That is only useful if you find a hydroponic nutrient that lists each and gives that measurement, or if you manufacture your own nutrients.
Helpful link ,thank you ! I see different variations though of NPK, and scoured some posts around that said for example, Lettuce using more Nitrogen then Potassium. I will follow your advice though as you say below about speaking with the vendor.

Also in one book I'm reading it speaks about breaking up the Macro / Micro's so you would have 2-3 different solutions. The author (Keith Roberto) feels the all in one solutions are not as good. Not sure if that is the general opinion of the community or not.

The PH I get, along with PPM. I know those are key to successful gardening.

Quote:
Say you have 4 plants feeding off one nutrient reservoir and it has a 5 gallon reservoir. ....This works the same for plants that are not heavy feeders, it's just more important to the ones that are.
Thank you , great explanation.

Quote:
Spring water would be fine but just expensive over time. To make distilled water ........I use 90% RO water and 10% hard water from outside (not from the water softener).
What I'm really interested in are the machines that make water out of the atmosphere. One model makes about 7-8 gallons a day even in a dry climate. I haven't researched it yet but wonder how those machines might work with hydroponics.