View Single Post
Old 01-14-2010, 04:37 PM

Quote:
I see different variations though of NPK, and scoured some posts around that said for example, Lettuce using more Nitrogen then Potassium.
"N-P-K. The three numbers listed on fertilizer labels correspond to the percentage of these materials found in the fertilizer." Yes these are important, and some crops use more of one than another even during different stages of their life cycle. Although Nitrogen, Phosphorous, and Potash (Potassium) are only 3 elements in hydroponic nutrient solution. There are over nutrients/composition_page.html" target="_blank">20 elements that plants need to grow and be healthy. Carbon, hydrogen and oxygen are absorbed from the air and water. A nutrient mix can be based on more Nitrogen, Phosphorous or Potassium than another, but wont work without the rest.

Quote:
Also in one book I'm reading it speaks about breaking up the Macro / Micro's so you would have 2-3 different solutions. The author (Keith Roberto) feels the all in one solutions are not as good.
I personally use the General Hydroponics Flora Series nutrients, its a 3 part series. The 3 different parts give you some control as to the final mix of nutrients. The all in one nutrients should be bought for specific plants because you don't have any control in mixing them except for how strong it is. Also it is my understanding that the dry mixes don't necessarily dissolve all the way.

Quote:
What I'm really interested in are the machines that make water out of the atmosphere. One model makes about 7-8 gallons a day even in a dry climate. I haven't researched it yet but wonder how those machines might work with hydroponics.
I haven't researched them yet either. I would expect that the final water is quite similar to distilled, although I could be wrong. They pull the humidity out of the air, so it is evaporated water. But because it's not inside a sterile environment it does pick up molecules that are floating in the air. I believe they have filters to take out the impurities, but don't know how well they work.

Last edited by GpsFrontier; 01-14-2010 at 05:00 PM.