View Single Post
Old 01-22-2010, 08:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amigatec View Post
I like the idea, but after looking at it, I have a way to improve on it.

Use the top res to top-off the bottom res. Use the bottom res to water the plant with. Run the pump to the drip lines, and as the bottom res empties the top res via the float will keep it topped-off. This way the pH/ppm in the top res will always be right and should keep the pH/ppm in the bottom res correct.
Good idea, your absolutely right.

That will also make it less complicated and eliminate the float in the top reservoir, as well as the need for the P.V.C. overflow from the top one to the bottom. It will also eliminate the need for the adjustable height P.V.C. tube, and it will eliminate the slack in water level between the bottom reservoir and the top reservoir before it actually starts flowing trough the drip system. As well as any need for a fresh water line from the pluming and/or a third reservoir.

The only potential drawback I can see is in the bottom reservoir not circulating water with the top one. That could have an effect on the nutrients as they are being used by the plants. You wouldn't have that buffer water like in a large reservoir feeding the plants. It would be more like a reservoir with just enough water in it run the system and adding fresh nutrients back as it's used up. You could from time to time however take water from the bottom reservoir and hand pour it into the top reservoir and let the float in the bottom one replace back what you displaced. Basically hand circulating it, to better dilute the depletion the plants using the nutrients they need and leaving the rest of the nutrients in the small/bottom reservoir.
Attached Images

Last edited by GpsFrontier; 01-22-2010 at 08:53 PM.