View Single Post
Old 11-14-2011, 01:17 AM

Well I took some more pictures today of how I'm laminating the 1/2-2x4's. Some of the pictures are redundant, being that they show the process of laminating the wood with the contact cement from the beginning, and I have already posted similar pictures. But heck, I may as well post them too because I have them. Though I mostly just wanted to show how I made the seems on the bottom edge I mentioned in an earlier post.

Basically once I've laminated all 4 sides, I fold back the overlap, and tape it back with electrical tape. Then I wash the dust off the bottom edge with a damp rag and let dry. Then I brush on a coat of contact cement to the bottom edge with a disposable foam brush, as well as the rest of where the plastic will overlap, and on the overlapping plastic itself. Then just fold the plastic back over and press it down firmly using a dry rag. Then I just cut off the excess overlapping plastic and press down the seem. I haven't bothered to clean off the excess contact cement from the bottom edge, I don't think it's any problem at all. But I already have a new bottle of "acetone" nail polish remover to do that with if I decide to later.

P.S.
You may notice on some of the shorter 2x4's, the plastic lamination dosen't go all the way to the end of the board. That's because the table I'm using has a 8 foot long work space, and some of the 1/2-2x4's are longer than 4 feet. So sometimes some of it hangs over the edge. But these boards will be cut to size later, and I will need to cut off anywhere from 8 inches, to a foot and half. So the couple of inches at the end that didn't get laminated in plastic will be cut off later anyway.
Attached Images