View Single Post
Old 09-11-2011, 02:02 AM

Quote:
What are the signs that I should look for which would indicate that the solution has been depleted of the essential nutrients. Will the plants change colour? Or start wilting?
The plants generally slow in new growth as the nutrients become depleted. But the big tip off is the color of the leaves. If the new foliage comes out yellowish instead of a nice green, or even older leaves begin to fade from green to yellow, it's probably time to change it. Because either the nutrients are out of balance, and/or to week to support the growth. Also sudden significant pH swings could be a indication that it's time to change the nutrient solution as well. Just be observant of your plants daily, and notice changes. Observation is the most important tool the grower has.

Quote:
Even with this reduced amount of solution, would you agree that I might be able to get at least two weeks before the change? Assuming I don't see any negative effects in the plants.
Easily, especial with the size plants you have. Sprouts like that would do fine with only one gallon of water and only 1/4 to 1/2 strength nutrient solution for at least a week or two. In one system I grew lettuce in (a water culture system) with only 5-6 gallons of nutrient solution in it for 8 plants (more than 1/2 gallon per plant). My plants were about an inch or so tall before I put them in the system. The first reservoir fill was only about 1/3 strength nutrient solution at first, and I would let it run for about 4 weeks (though I added some more nutrient to it about the end of week two because the plants were bigger then). Then I did a change and went about 3/4 strength (because I like my nutrient solution to be a little weaker then manufactures recommendations), then I would let that go for at least 2 to 3 weeks or so between changes.

P.S.
If your nutrient solution is evaporating, you'll want to replace what evaporates with plain fresh water. Otherwise the nutrients in the water will become concentrated.

Last edited by GpsFrontier; 09-11-2011 at 02:06 AM.