Thread: Guano
View Single Post
Old 04-12-2010, 03:09 AM

Fish emulsion and chicken emulsion have been used for years, so I don't see why guano would be so far off. Though from what I have found, there additives also. I would be weary of hoping for the best results from using it, especially when your just starting out in hydroponics. I would contact the manufacture of the guano (make sure it's sold for hydroponics), then try to find a couple more that sell the same type of product, and ask them the same questions. See if they all give you the same answers (it will be more creditable that way).

Also I would look into aquaponics, it's the process of using fish waste (fish emulsion, usually with live fish) for the nutrient solution, and find out what the complete process is (and what they think of using guano). Again finding out what retailers have to say, but also checking out what educational institutions (.edu) have on the subject, and/or government programs like the "extensions" programs in your local area, they will have information on agriculture throughout the USA.

All in all, I have no doubt you can make it work. The question is, completely on guano? And how well it will work for your particular crop? I know people who swear that "miracle grow" alone will work with no need for hydroponic nutrients. I have even used miracle grow myself (because I didn't care about the plants anymore) and they did grow. But from what I saw, not healthy. So with the proper research, I'm sure it would be possible, but if it's your first try and you needed good results, I would use hydroponic nutrients first.