View Single Post
Old 04-22-2011, 08:59 AM

Thank you for your candor. I would start with the basics. Tomatoes, leafy greens, green peppers, salad items. With the price of fresh vegetables this winter due to the weather, (green peppers at $2.50 per pepper) that did it. Our community has a revolving fund to lend to new business at low interest. I thought I could take advantage of that to get started. I also thought I would take advantage of university students from Michigan state, an agricultural University for some of the labor. We live in a small community in Northeast Michigan. The farmers rely on the weather and as, you know conditions aren't always the best. It would also create year round growing and jobs. I looked at the video from houwelings.com. That is an amazing farm. I don't think we would ever get that large although it would be nice to think someday we could supply at least the state with homegrown veggies. Ours comes from so far away, with hydroponics I think we can finally grow our own. It would be a great undertaking. But I know I need to start small. Our summer is just starting so I won't have much time to work on this project. Any help on the greenhouse design would be welcome.