Thread: Animal fodder
View Single Post
Old 10-24-2013, 06:02 AM

Hello fintuckyfarms,
I remember you asking how to automate the folder system without all the gunk in the runoff, and recycling it back. I believe I suggested not recycling it and using only fresh water. The hard part is getting the right timer so you don't waist a lot more water than you need. I don't remember if I mentioned using a cycle timer, but that's the type of timer you would want to use. That way you can have really short pump "on" times, rather than the minimum 15 min on times for regular light timers.

Recently I found a good relatively inexpensive digital cycle timer. It's the same timer we are going to be using in the hydroponic systems we are building. For digital cycle timers it's a great price, it's even $20 cheaper than the analog cycle timer we were planing to use. Anyhow you can set it for as short an on time as one second, and as long as an off time as up to 24 hours. If you used a small fountain pump, and that timer set for short intervals, and with a little trial and error playing with the on/off times you'd hardly use any water at all. Short on times just to keep the seeds moist.

This is the timer I'm talking about:
CT-1 Digital Recycle Timer