View Single Post
Old 10-10-2009, 03:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GpsFrontier View Post
I am looking into using "hydrogen peroxide" in the new hydroponic systems I am building. While looking into it I have read something about using "food grade hydrogen peroxide." I am wondering if there is a difference between a food grade hydrogen peroxide and the hydrogen peroxide that you find in the pharmacy first aid section for putting on cuts. Also, if the first aid hydrogen peroxide is something I should avoid using.
Actually, if it is labeled hxdrogen peroxide at 35%, it should be H2O2 and nothing else. Otherwise, or if there are any additives, - they should figure on the label. Low concentration H2O2 may use some stabilizers, but I've read studies where "stabilzed" low concentration H2O2 was used to disinfect setups .

As it is a powerful disinfectant and antiseptic, it kills every living organism but the plants, if used in the right concentration (dilution).

Though, if using hxdrogen peroxide one should be aware that all micro organisms in the systems get killed- also beneficial organisms or fungus die. As I add Trichoderma harzianum to my reservoirs, I am obviously avoiding the use of H2O2.

Last edited by Luches; 10-10-2009 at 03:51 AM.