View Single Post
Old 02-25-2010, 07:59 PM

Quote:
How do these compare in price to hydroton?
Well the rock that is in the bottom taking up space I get all I want for free in the backyard. I just soak it in water for a few min, then hose it off in the driveway to clean it. Then I just soak it in bleach water for about an hour to sanitize it. Then hose it off again. As for hydroton, I think a typical price is about $10 for 10 liters like in this link: Hydroton 10 Liter Bag. Although sometimes you will find a better prices, especially in larger quantity's.

The coco chips that I used were $9.95 for 4 cubic feet (picture attached). I'm not sure how much that breaks down to in liters. But if I remember correctly when soaked it to wash it, and it was fully expanded, it almost filled the 18 gallon storage container that I was using. There are just over 4 liters per gallon. Though the coco chips are not reusable, and the hydroton (grow rocks) are reusable.

I don't know if shipping is a concern to you like it is to me because we don't have any hydroponic stores here in town, but I think the weight was about the same for the 10 liters of grow rocks as it is for the 4 cubic feet of coco chips. I just look at the "contact us" information on the website to see where the place is located, and I try to order from somewhere close by.
Attached Images