View Single Post
Old 10-27-2014, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by helloman1976 View Post
That's correct. I highly recommend starting out with RO water and using nutrient salts, what you're calling "chems". The salts are not able to be broken down by bacteria, that's not what they eat and can actually kill them much like a snail and salt. The two are not really compatible, yes there are exceptions. This is a tired conversation amongst gardeners however because both ways work given they are within the variables need to make them work so both sides will argue who's is better etc.

Look at it from this standpoint. Do you want a bunch of living organisms floating around in your nutrient salts hoping they live long enough to be able to attach themselves to something organic like roots or falling leaf matter in the reservoir and if they don't live then they die and create root rot and root slime breading havens 100% of the time? Also, do you want to clean up the biological mess they create with every nutrient change out and continuously have to buy new airstones because that's the only place these living organisms can safely grow in your reservoir?

Or look at it this way. Do you want to use clean nutrient salts that create no mess, are readily available and chelated and can be custom tailored to your plants exact needs? Also, when you do nutrient change outs using the sterile method there isn't anything to clean because everything comes out sparkling new. Your plants have no competition from anything living in your nutrient reservoir eating up your nutrient salts, things like bacteria and slime and molds and so on or algae etc etc.

Check out DutchMaster's Zone and read up on h202 in nutrient reservoirs. You will encounter people who are hard-core about beneficials and people who are against it for the reasons above. Sterile hydro is the only way to go in my opinion and it's the cleanest and cheapest, you dont have to buy expensive biologicals. My 2 cents...
i totally see where you coming from with sterile way. I know what h²0² is and have used it once before to clear a small problem , but using it all the time is something i may consider after abit more research ( but i do understand your side completely )....... If i was to go down the sterile way how much and how often would i use 9% h²0² in a 25 ltr res ?...
Also ..i don't need RO water.

Thanks oTOMMYo