View Single Post
Old 02-12-2010, 05:42 AM

Well with the possible exception of aquaponics, we try to keep algae from growing in hydroponic systems. But I would probably start with what is working other people first. Not sure why you need to go with led lighting instead of the cfl's, I would think it would be much more expensive. But if the higher red spectrum is working best for them, that's where I would start. In nature the spectrum of light is changed by the layers of atmosphere. The suns angle in the sky determines this affect on the light rays getting to earth changing it's spectrum of light.

I'm not an expert, but because algae grows underwater I would guess that the water itself is similar to the atmosphere in its ability to change the spectrum of light the algae receives. Especially if it is not perfectly clear water (like the atmosphere), and over the years the algae has just simply adapted to it. Though that's just a possible theory. Again I would start with what works for other people first, then experiment. The water quality and food supply also has a major effect on its growth, as with any plant or organism.