View Single Post
Old 11-10-2010, 06:42 PM

NorEastFla
Thanks for the links to the greenhouse plans, I bookmarked them and will print them out later when I move the laptop to the den with the printer. The pictures of the one that you are working on has given me an idea for a rounded top on mine. I plan to use 1 1/2 inch to 2 inch PVC tubing, and that wont bend as easily, but for the top I may steep down to the 3/4 inch and just add more of them. Or just add extra lateral support for them, ether way it wont block much light. I just need to find the right connectors to connect the two largely different sized tubing's, but I have no doubt that can be worked out one way or another.

I will probably leave out the re-bar though, I don't want it to be top heavy. And for the cost I could double the ribs and add lots of lateral support. If I remember correctly a 10 foot piece of re-bar goes for about $8, and the 3/4 inch PVC (10 foot) goes for less than $1.50, and a 10 pack of connectors depending on size (3/4 or 1/2) and type goes for $2 to $3. Also when I say PVC in the case of building a greenhouse, I am really referring to "PVC electrical conduit." Only because I have found that the UV from the strong sunlight we get here in the desert will discolor and make regular PVC more brittle. The electrical conduit is only a couple of penny's more for the straight pieces of tubing, and should be more UV friendly. Although the connectors are more expensive for some reason (if I remember correctly). So I will use the regular PVC connectors instead (they fit both). I may even paint them the same color as the electrical conduit for aesthetics, it may even block UV to the plastic.

Quote:
I was a little disappointed to find that these guys used dirt to grow in. What a let-down! I was expecting hydroponics.
Ya, me too! But oh well, we'll show them. Even so I still really like the way they constructed the greenhouse itself. The way the sides roll up and, ends open for ventilation, as well as the height of it. But because of space considerations, I may decide to just have all 4 sides roll up. They can still be screened to keep large pests out, pollinating fly's in and still allow ventilation when needed. I could even have the screening roll up and down to make any maintenance on the hydro systems easy, as well as allow bees to pollinate during summer. And taking some ideas from the the two greenhouse designs you posted, building a screen door would make it easy to get in and out while still screened in. The door and framing could be built in a way that it's easily removable for any maintenance issues also.