View Single Post
Old 11-13-2010, 03:16 AM

Quote:
What other options if you're dealing with an enclosed room indoors with HID lights heating it up? Plus, fresh oxygen and CO2 are needed.
What would you use in place of an in-line fan?
Just because one is trying to ventilate a enclosed area, even with HID lighting does not mean that store bought inline fans are the only option. Even if it's the best option (depending on setup) does not mean a different fan/s cant be used, and just adapted to the situation with a little ingenuity. Who says you need to buy a pre-fab inline fan? Who says you cant build your own? That's the way I look at it. As I mentioned, with a little ingenuity taking just about any fan and making it a inline fan is easy to do, especially when you consider all the household ducting options available.

I have never needed a fan to ventilate my plants as of yet (because I grow outside). But I have considered the possibility quite often, and of coarse it depends on the situation. But for starters to move a lot of air I would consider High Velocity blower fans, available at most hardware stores. Here is one that cost less than $50.00 and even on low puts out 1280 cfm, (1750 on med, 2180 on high). There are many manufactures of these type of High Velocity blower fans to choose from.

Lasko Stanley 3-Speed Blower Fan - Black/Yellow

For enclosed closets and smaller setups I would consider something like bathroom exhaust fans (or even oven exhaust fans). The cfm is generally between 50 and 80 cfm but the cost per fan can be as low as $15 ea, and available at any hardware store (no shipping cost). Lastly any box fan (12, 14, 16, 18 inch etc.) can be adapted to many situations and can be bought for $20 or less. I use one of these every night (18 inch, during summer months) for air circulation as I sleep. I don't know the exact cfm., but I know it puts out quite a bit. It has lasted 3 years now. I paid $19.95 for it, you can get them at the end of the summer for half that on clearance. Converting it to a inline fan would not be difficult to me.

Last edited by GpsFrontier; 11-13-2010 at 04:39 AM.