View Single Post
Old 11-14-2010, 04:51 AM

Quote:
I would temper that path of reasoning when it's offered as advice to others unless you're also willing to risk their lives and property or make them understand that there is a risk.
Just how far do you take that type of thinking. For instance my mom yells at me for using a dish towel to wipe the counter off with, or using it for drying my hands with, simply because they are not "dishes." Like it was going to explode or something if you use it for anything other than drying a dish. Is it also wrong to walk in tennis shoes instead of only playing tennis in them? Unless a electronic device was manufactured by a company that you can blame anything that goes wrong on the only advice should be you shouldn't use it? So where exactly do you draw the line? Even company's that make space heaters have the disclaimer that they are not to be used while you are sleeping, when they know full well that's exactly when people are going to be using them the most. They just want to cover their butt's from lawsuits.

Also by that same thinking then I could only suggest buying a hydroponic system that was manufactured by a company specifically for hydroponics, instead of building your own. After all, unless it was designed for hydroponics it simply cant be used for hydroponics unless you are willing to risk your life right? Heck I use fountain pumps for hydroponics (not a hydroponics pump), I guess I should stop doing that or I may wind up causing a fire or electrocuting someone. Not for me, I'm simply not going to live my life in fear. Even when we have thunder and lighting storms I love to go outside and/or have windows open to view it. Not because I'm ignorant to the danger, but I know the odds and I'm simply not going to cower under the bed in fear. If I really felt a need I would simply install a lighting rod on the house.

This world is filled with inventions that were devised out of necessity. If we waited for some company to design something before we were allowed to use it, how would it ever get invented in the first place, especially when they were simply afraid to build it? We would not even have electricity if Benjamin Franklin was afraid to fly that kite. Have you ever flown a plane? Seen one? Before the Wright brothers, who was it that determined the plane parts were safe to use to build the plane with in the first place, much less could guarantee it would fly? If only using quality equipment is necessary and important (especially for a business), then I would think you would be buying a greenhouse and hydroponic systems instead of building your own. Ever think one of those panels might come down while someone was under it and slit their throat, or penetrate their skull. You couldn't blame a manufacture because it was built by you, and then where will you be.

So if the possibility exist of anything possible going wrong no mater how slight, even if you are not the one building it you simply need to suggest a commercially manufactured product right? Again it's about what one is comfortable with in their own ability that makes the difference. Inverters are not afraid to invent, nor am I. The way I see it, fear of ones own ability's can be projected into the fear of others ability's. If we all relied on the ability's of the least capable, then where would we be? Each and everyone of us needs to use our own common sense, as well as understand our own capabilities. Take that as a disclaimer if you wish, but I expect that anyone that wishes to build anything is capable of using there own common sense in doing so on their own.

Also the way I see it, I don't feel I have shown any disregard for anyone's life or safety (including mine). I more or less have just stated that the expensive products mentioned were not anything that I would consider (my opinion). I have just stated my feelings and opinions about using high priced specialized fans, as well as how I would go about things in that regard. I have also not given any specific directions on how to fabricate a fan system. Not that I would be afraid to give some ideas, but I did ask some questions about the particular application, and did not get any information about that aspect, so how could I.

Bottom line, that type of thinking does nothing but promote fear, impede invention in any industry. As well as keep making money for the large company's that want to charge anything they want for their products. Again that's just out of the realm of my comprehension as to why anyone would want to go on that way. I too have seen some things that you just have to ask "what were you thinking" but you simply cant blame everyone for the mistakes of a select few. And I simply cant recommend spending unnecessary amounts of money for something because of fear that one in a thousand may decide not to use common sense. To that one in a thousand, spend the money for the commercially built product.

Last edited by GpsFrontier; 11-14-2010 at 07:01 AM.