View Single Post
Old 08-25-2010, 01:36 PM

Hey GpsFrontier, I do love that tube based E&F system you've developed! Your snow pea plants look awesome in it!

I'm curious about your design for the square tubing. I wonder if the total square inches of grow-holes is needed in relation to the total square inches of stems that will come from them.

When full grown, what is the diameter of each stem of the strawberry plants you intend to grow in them? How many plants would fit into a 2" opening?

The reason I'm asking is that the opposing holes may not be necessary and if eliminated, would give you additional fill height in the 4" round tubing to allow for a deeper fill depth and thus wet more area on your net cups.

If rockwool were used, it's wicking action might also eliminate the need for the maximum fill.

The suction resulting from the vacuum created by the draining cycle would pull in oxygen through the top of the net baskets and assist in the more complete draining of the rockwool on each cycle.

This would provide both oxygen for the roots and prevent any problems associated with over-wetness of the rockwool near the stems.

If the total stem mass exceeds that of spaced holes in the 4" round tubing, then a router could be used to cut a 2" continuous gap in the top of the round tubing with intermittent structural segments left intact about each foot or so. This would radically increase the stem area allowance without having to cut your grow-holes lower in the tubing.

Whatcha think? I'm just throwing out some ideas. This is exactly what I intend to do with your idea, except for the type of plants I'll be growing.

I'm designing a salad system. One small area of hydroponic plants that will provide a family of four all the salad ingredients they can use.

I've been studying, designing and using hydroponic gardening for slightly over 30 years. I have my own site, but it would be decidedly uncool to promote it on this fine site. Mine is brand new and has no traffic yet. That's why I'm here on this site posting. After my own site kicks off and becomes busy, I may be too busy to come here.

I've been observing this site for quite some time now. I've always loved the photos of the various systems here. The adaptations of the 11 plant system are fascinating and show some real ingenuity.