View Single Post
Old 03-12-2011, 06:58 PM

Hello sfvhunter69,
It's hard to see how they have designed the inside of the buckets, and to see exactly how they have combined 3 type of hydroponic systems inside each bucket. But it's easy enough to do, just don't see the particulars. And without even seeing inside the buckets, I have a good idea how they have designed it.

I have now doubt it will grow plants, but I always prefer to build my own systems. The most expensive part of a system like that would be the pump, and that's a big factor for the aeroponic part of the system. From looking at the pump, I could be wrong but it doesn't look like a high pressure pump. I'm sure it will put out enough water to spray the roots with water, but a high pressure pump is needed for a true aeroponic system witch has a fine mist spray. It looks like a typical fountain pump like I use in my systems, and for a particular one I would use (and have) runs about $45.

Buckets are cheep, under $4 each (including the lid), $20 for five. They would need to be light proofed first though, and easy enough to do. I can't tell if the ones in the system for sale are light proof either (cant tell if any light can get through that gray plastic). The baskets for the plants only run a couple of bucks a piece. The misters/emitters inside the buckets, don't run much, you can probably get a 10 pack for about $5. They screw directly into PVC tubing that would be placed inside each bucket. I might even attach the misters/emitters directly to the lids to make sure the roots don't wind up obstructing the spray.

I would run the return lines a little different though. Each bucket would still have their own overflow, but they would run to a larger central tube (say a 1 1/2 to 2 inch PVC), simply cutting a hole in the PVC to stick the return line from the bucket into. Then back to the reservoir through just one tube, and it would run through the lid of the reservoir. That eliminated all the holes in the side of the reservoir (bucket, because of the rounded surface) that might wind up leaking in the future, it also eliminates the need to buy the 4 connector's they have them running through. I would also run the overflow from each bucket from the bottom of the buckets for a tighter seal, rather than the sides of the buckets (again a rounded surface). I'm not sure how they have the inside constructed for sure, but I would build it so the overflow height would be adjustable (easy enough to do).

I like the table setup, but I have some doubts on the way the buckets are actually supported. They appear to be supported by the lip of the buckets resting on the edge of the wood. I would support the weight from the bottom of the buckets. When you have about 3 gallons of water in the bucket (about 30 pounds) and the plants get big, there will be a lot of weight resting on just the lip of the buckets. All in all, I would expect to be able to build a similar system for about half the price (and no shipping cost), or a much larger one for about the same price.

Bottom line is, it all depends on how comfortable you are with building things, and how the 6 different types of hydroponic systems work on weather you feel comfortable on building your own system/s. For some people it's better to buy a pre-made system, and seeing how it works before taking on building their own, but I like to build and design my own systems.