View Single Post
Old 02-12-2009, 07:46 AM

Default wondering if the only source of lighting is HID

Hey Ron, love your site! I got up to page 50 of the bulletin board archives and didn't see my question answered so here goes. I am new to this and was wondering if the only source of lighting is HID, will plants still grow, or do they need some sunlight? I am assuming they will grow with HID only, but want to know for sure before I go too far. I live in a condo and the only space I have available is the basement. Also, I am an electrician by trade and just happen to be doing a project where we are replacing a bunch of hps and MH high bay fixtures and lucky me, they still work. I've already been given the go ahead to take what I want, so if I can grow with HID only I'm in like Flynn. In one of your posts you commented on finding cheap fixtures. Here is a couple of ideas: Check around with any local warehouses or industrial facilities and try to talk with one of their engineers. They may be doing a lighting upgrade and make you a hell of a deal. Also check with your local electrical contractors. They may be in the middle of such a project. Industrial surplus places are an option likewise. If you strike out everywhere be sure to leave your name and number for any future happenings.