Thread: Planning stages
View Single Post
Old 02-07-2011, 01:11 AM

Default Planning stages

So, I'm currently on a military deployment and have been bored out of my mind and started researching hydroponic farming. I had played around with hydro a bit in highschool bio class and thought it was interesting and now, when I get back stateside and settled into my new home in San Diego, I plan to start my own setup.

I'm thinking alon the lines of a pvc pipe ebb and flow, will probably start off with the basics of tomatoes, bell peppers and cukes. Now, where my current project plan is going to get interesting is I have a 100w solar panel that I have been itching to find a use for and think it would be pretty cool to go off the grid with my hydro setup.

So far I think I have everything planned out as far as the hydro setup goes, the tricky part to me will be figuring out the whole wiring of the solar panel to a battery bank to a power inverter. If anybody has any suggestions on power inverters and such I am all ears. Also if anybody has any experience growing outdoors in Southern Cali and is willing to throw out pointers. Being from Michigan I am pretty excited at the possibility of being able to grow outside all year long.

Thanks much, I'll be posting pics and such once I get everything going, although it won't be for a lil while yet.

Kyle