View Single Post
Old 01-30-2011, 10:17 AM

Default First Run Complete

The first run is now in the history books!!

Thanks for everyone's contribution. The learning curve would have been MUCH steeper without the great posts and comments on these boards.

I also posted the latest video on the blog as well as some commentary. YouTube - Update ebb and flow and DWC hydroponic system 29 Jan 11

I tore down the ebb and flow yesterday ending an incredible run for the Simpson lettuce and lemon basil. We estimated 60 full salads worth of lettuce and probably another 20 batches for sandwiches. The basil is loaded in the freezer and will be used for the next several weeks in stews and soups.

I ended up cleaning the system with 3/4 cup bleach per gallon of warm water. I noticed some "slime" on the inside lid of the reservoir and the intake/outflow tubes, but it was minimal and really the only thing that looked like it needed cleaning. I wiped down the big pieces and rinsed and soaked the small pieces and rinsed.

I soaked the silica stones in the bleach water, rinsed, and now letting dry to get rid of the small pieces of roots. I intend on thoroughly rinsing again in a few weeks after the root pieces have crumbled to dust.

Question, how do you guys clean your submersible pumps? I am hesitant to use bleach. Thanks in advance!