View Single Post
Old 02-01-2011, 05:25 PM

You can start seeds in a hydroponic system, provided you make sure the moisture level the seeds get is adequate. Too wet and the sprouts will drown, and too dry and they wont grow. I have never started seeds in a hydro system because it just seems a bit impractical to me. I don't see a need to run the the entire system, use all that water to fill the system etc. just to sprout some seeds. I like to wait until they get a couple of inches tall before I place them in their permanent home. Also I always start more than I need, and choose the best ones to put in the system.

From what I hear the jiffy pots and rapid router pots work well, but they do hold a lot of moisture. So I would take care to make sure they don't remain saturated in the system. If they stay real wet all the time it could lead to stem rot for plants that get that real easy like tomato's and strawberry's.

P.S. Thanks Pinewoods, I have seen that video before, it is a nice easy to build system. They also have a few systems in there that peek my interest. Particularly the stackable tube setup (you see in the very beginning), however I don't think I would design it as a drip system because I wouldn't want to deal with all the individual drip lines.

Last edited by GpsFrontier; 02-01-2011 at 05:36 PM.