View Single Post
Old 01-30-2010, 08:54 AM

Quote:
Whay in the world would you clean the whole system at every nute change?
Very simple, it only takes me 20 min, and it is the best way to make sure you don't wind up with anything growing in it (not growing out of control) that's not wanted. Not just algae, but any bacteria or micro organisms either. That's certainly worth 20 min every week or two. Also when you do it regularly it cleans easy.
Quote:
for actaul plants in veg or flowering under lights its almost impossible to get the nute to cold?
Not everyone grows using lights or even indoors, and rooms like basements or garages are not always heated and can become cold. I grow everything outside in natural light. The outside temp gets down into the mid 30's during the winter, and daytime temps barely reach 50's at times.
Quote:
For the rest of us, cold water is fine and newbies dont need the hassle of heat to content with tell they have spme practice with there new system.
If you'll notice I gave the temperature range to keep the nutrient solution at. If they fallow that there wont be any problems because of heat or cold nutrient temperatures. That's also why I recommended the adjustable thermostats. With the thermostats set in the right range there also wont be any problems with nutrient temps being too high (not from a heater anyway).
Quote:
Also with no heat you grow a lot less shit in the water as far as algea. I wouldnt heat anything.
Yes, that is very true, however its not all about just what happens when they get too warm. Different micro organisms are triggered by different temperatures also. If the temp is too cold the beneficial micro organisms wont be able to grow and survive. Also the plants wont be able to uptake the nutrients they need as well if the temperature is in the correct range. This basically stunts the growth of the plants. This is something I am dealing with right now with my peas (I don't have a heater for that nutrient reservoir).
Quote:
but if you use a painted florescent bulb it cant get to hot and melt anything and they dont break when cold water hits them like a fish tank heater and they are cheap and lots of different wattages.
I personally have not tried these but even so, there would be one major problem for me. They are not waterproof. Too much chance electrocution from splashing water, as well as just shorting out when getting wet. By the time I bought a socket, bulb, cord for the plug, silicone to seal it all up, I cold have easily bought a fish tank heater and not had any of those problems to deal with. Also the water in the reservoir is not at the same height all the time, and unless the heater is submersible it wont be able to heat the water when it fluctuates.
Quote:
45f or cooler and no lights nothing grows for the most part and nothing that kills you.
Yes, if you don't mind your plants growth being stunted. As well as the lack of the beneficial organisms. Then 45 degree temp would be fine.
Quote:
on that same note hi tech everything grows best with automation all most everytime. but more important it lets you go on vacation. just dont add stuff like heat, next you have to add h2o2 to help clean it up then your using root products then water ph balancers.
Unfortunately not all of us can afford a grotronix system. H202 is pH neutral, I've tested it.
Quote:
algea isnt bad it just looks like it should be cleaned.
Just like plants, there are many different types of algae. Some good, some bad. Generally a little algae is not bad at all, but too much can defiantly be a problem.