View Single Post
Old 12-02-2011, 02:16 AM

Well I thought it was time for an update. I've been so busy building the hydroponic system growing beds, that I just haven't had much time for anything else. There are more than 20 pictures, so I'll break the update up into two posts.

In total there are 21 grow beds, 12 of them are approximately 8x3 foot grow beds (large ones), and 9 more about half that size (small ones). After all the wood was laminated with the black plastic it was time to start constructing the grow beds. First I laid out the the laminated OSB face down on the table. Then I screwed in the laminated 2x4's around the sides. Once all the screws were pre-drilled and screws screwed in, I unscrewed 3 sides. That way I can keep all the holes lined up. Once I unscrewed the 3 sides I lifted the OSB and placed blocks to hold it up.

With the OSB up and out of the way, I hot glued the corners and ran a bead of 100% silicone along the inside seam between the OSB and 2x4's. Once I did one side, I screwed that side back down, and did the same for the other side, then screwed all the screws back in. Then I flipped the grow bed over and finished hot gluing all the corners from the top until the seems and gaps were all filled in. Then I continued to hot glue the outside seam all away around the grow bed, to stop any leaks that may get passed the inside silicone bead. Once all the hot gluing was done, I ran another bead of silicone around the inside edge of the grow bed.

I also finally took some pictures of the parts to my water filtration system. I have had them for weeks, but just took pictures of it today. There are 4 different replaceable cartridge filter housings. First will be a sediment filter, then the 1 micron filter, and then two carbon filters. The cartridge housings were $19 ea, the sediment filter was $9 (for a 2 pack), the carbon filters were $13 ea, and the 1 micron filter was $22. If you look closely at the 1 micron filter it shows it is a 0.5 micron filter. But with the allowable variance of .5 microns, it's really the same as a absolute 1 micron filter.
Attached Images