Thread: pvc piping?
View Single Post
Old 03-21-2009, 12:26 PM

I have made 8 units all 24” x 16” x 8-3/4” rubber made toot containers.

2 of them have 2 pots each of 8” dia for a total of 4 – 8” pots – 2 types tomatoes.

2 of them have 2 pots each of 6” dia for a total of 4 – 6” pots – 2 brussel sprouts and 2 eggplants.

The above will all be on a 5 gallon pail with higher nitrogen and ph.

The next collection is 4 toots. 2 with 6 – 4” pots for 12 types of herbs
and 2 with 3 - 6” pots for cayenne peppers.

The same all 4 on a 5 gallon pail but lower nutrient and ph.

The whole system is bassed on pex pipe or HDPE – the white flexible pipe for water distribution in most homes theses days. I find the plastic pex – barbed fittings work well – I do not put a crimp ring on any of the pipe that is submerged in solution, instead I use the orange Teflon tape and wrap the fitting a few times to form a gasket. It is handy to use on pumps with a Ύ” fip x ½” barbed fitting because the Ύ” pex is 1/2 “ on the inside and fits the pump like a glove. The pvc that is used for venting furnaces and water heaters is much thicker – Ό” and in my books that makes it subject to a tap and die set. Threading this pipe is very easy and will make a professional looking job…

oh and I will be adding 2 - 300 watt photo electric panels to an inverter with 2 deep cycle batteries to avoid the use of extension cords.

I can’t wait to plant this out side.

Hope you do not mind a little ramble…