View Single Post
Old 10-18-2018, 10:20 AM

Default Will get sun screens and a bucket question

Stan, Great idea and yes I do have a dollar store near me (I go there frequently!). I actually though about buying aluminum foil to do the same thing, but yours’ is a much better method. Question on the Dutch buckets, when I first constructed them, I ran the system regularly to test for leaks and insure timer operation. As a result, it’s been sitting since the start of September with likely 2” of water in each bucket (I didn't expect to still be trying to get seedlings going). Today I hooked it directly to hose and ran water through it for about a ½ hour, pushing between 10 and 15 gallons through. Should I add a small amount of bleach to the “flush” to eliminate the possibility of any bacteria or mold in the bottom of the buckets(assuming chlorine eventually dissipates)? Maybe a few days before moving plants to Dutch buckets? They’ve been inside the garage so no direct sunlight exposure. Hoping I don’t have to completely empty the perlite out, clean buckets, and re-rinse perlite, but I will if it mold or bacteria is a possibility. Don’t want to have gone this far and screw it up…. Also, added a “status” pic as of today… Thanks,
gdgdad
Attached Images